Social media transformed our lives. Our vocabulary is continuously expanding with the addition of new words that become trendy and push us to join digital networks. One of the most popular expressions nowadays related to social media is “hashtag,” a term that owes its appearance and promotion to Twitter, and a common word that became an essential part of all social media networks.
The goal of hashtags is to classify the publications shared by users in the different social outlets, so the “posts” will be found faster and easier via their search engines.
Although it seems like a straightforward procedure (and it is), some people misuse the hashtag. It’s for this reason that we want to share interesting facts about the use of #hashtags so that you can take advantage of them and position your brand through social networks:
- Hashtags on Twitter are used to categorize content.
- According to Hubspot, “Tweets with hashtags get 2x more engagement than tweets without.”
- Using fewer hashtags on Twitter generates more interactions. “Tweets with 1 or 2 hashtags have 21% higher engagement than those with 3 or more hashtags. But when you use more than two hashtags, engagement drops by an average of 17%” according to Hubspot.
- Don’t overuse hashtags on Twitter. The best option when posting in this social media is to include a maximum of three hashtags per tweet.
- Hashtags on Instagram are used to build communities.
- According to Hubspot, “Instagram, the opposite of Twitter, shows posts with 11 or more hashtags have the highest interactions.”
- Hashtags are excellent tools for promoting content on this social network.
- The use of hashtags on Instagram is not limited. The more you use, the better.
- The use of hashtags on Facebook is not very well defined, but it mainly comprises the two core functions of Twitter and Instagram: categorize content and build communities.
- According to Hubspot, a “Facebook post without hashtags outperforms those with a hashtag” so its use in this social network is not advisable.
EXTRA TIPS TO DO A SUCCESSFUL HASHTAG:
- Keep it short and straightforward.
- Relate the hashtag to your content.
- Make it easy to remember and understand.
- Avoid hashtags that are too general.
- Check your competitors’ hashtags.
- Use the name of your brand in a hashtag.
- Test your hashtag before posting, so you can prove its effectiveness.
The use of hashtags in different social networks can be a determinant of a favorable online positioning, whether to share content, promote your goods and services, attract customers or build communities.
Now that you know how hashtags work, we invite you to use them in a planned and efficient way, so that your content posts achieve a greater reach through the various social media platforms and the positioning of your company is increasingly high and actively present online.
Are you making the most of your website? Let’s #hashtag together!